Tuesday, August 5, 2008

1 down

i had my first ob appointment today. no ultrasound- i need to schedule it with my primary doc's affiliated hospital because of my oh so great insurance. i also need to go to the devil (aka questmotherfuckers) to get my ob panel of bloodwork done. they weighed me (i think i am actually down about 10 pounds from the last time i was weighed i think it was february- so that's good) the number still surprised the nurse- she asked where i put it. thanks- i think... i always weigh more than i look like i do- i am pretty sure i have a very dense build. i am not really overweight- sure i have a little bit of flab & squishiness, but i am short & curvy. i don't lose weight very easily though since my diet & activity level are already pretty good (yes- could always be better!) i am a little nervous about gaining too much during pregnancy, but i have good self control for the excessive eating & bad splurges & just need to keep getting the fresh fruit & veggies & whole grains i already eat.
they also did the standard first visit stuff. blood pressure totally normal, family history, personal history. we chatted about the kidney & the fertility clinic. the nurse was a little surprised when i said that we had only done one treatment (believe me- she's not alone!)
the doc gave me a complete once over- she is very sweet & i like her a lot. lots of good info- although i knew most of it already. she did mention that she doesn't really see why i would have any increased risk fr an ectopic since my surgery was all laprascopic & really not near the abdomen. but she agreed with the better safe than sorry mindset! we both think that the clinic is being very cautious & i do have my script for the u/s. she recommended i schedule it for around 7 weeks so i could see a heartbeat. she did mention i might see one sometime next week, but if not i would have to go back. i feel pretty confident about the ectopic possibility so i am going to try to make the u/s appointment for sometime either the end of next week or the beginning of the next. i do want to see spring roll (& make sure there's not a combo platter in there!) but i will feel a lot more comfortable being able to see a heartbeat.
my next appointment with the ob is at 11 weeks. they normally do 4 weeks between appointments, but since i got in about 3 weeks earlier than they normally see patients i get to wait a little longer. it's only 2 weeks after my first scheduled appointment, so it's not too bad. plus i get to peek in soon so that will keep me going just fine!

5 comments:

sara said...

Over from Meredith's site to say a big congrats on your great news!

rocket.queen. said...

omg, Jenn! I just came to see how you were and I get the best news ever!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!

<3

kate said...

Is "spring roll" the name you're going with? Did I miss that somewhere?

Sigh. I'm just so damn happy for you. I just can't stop smiling when I think about your success.

It will be so exciting to be able to see little Spring Roll on camera, and so soon, too!

nancy said...

Exactly ~how~ do you know this? "but i have good self control for the excessive eating & bad splurges"

Things are different when you are pregnant!!! ~wink wink~

jenn said...

Nancy- you are completely right- I don't know how I'll be pregnant! I ~hope~ I can keep with my good self-control! ;o)