Thursday, November 10, 2011

the s word

supplementing. tomorrow around this time my little bear will run through the rest of my frozen stash.60+ ounces gone in 2 weeks. I am not producing enough at my 4-5 pump sessions + 4-5 nursing sessions per day. this is on top of 1-2 'meals'. the kid is insatiable and I am trying my best but can't keep up!
so now I face the thing that makes me so nervous, using formula. I have no problem with the decision to use it, my kid us hungry & is literally sucking me dry if you will.i I won't be giving up on nursing, but I can not sustain him as is.y issue is finding an affordable option that I can be happy with ingredient wise. is organic really worth it? do I really need the 'name brand'? will my supply stick around enough for nighttime & some milk til a year? there just must be something about pumping for 3-4 months. this is the point I lost daytime supply with pumpkin, but she was 9 months old. I wanted to hit 6 months with no formula. I know long term it means nothing if he gets it now or a month from now, but that was my goal & it sucks to not reach it.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Of course, reading your post while sitting here pumping. I think that the only way to keep your supply up for the full year is to keep pumping even as you start supplementing.

This breastfeeding thing will be working is so very hard and you should be SO proud of how much work you've put into it. It's hard how we set arbitrary goals for ourselves and then are disappointed to miss them. I hope that you are doing your best to rest and take care of yourself while nursing despite all of the stress/work/toddler care.