that is what the scale said i gained in a month at my 24-ish week appointment today. yikes! i actually would be concerned if it weren't for a few factors:
- i have only previously gained 4.5 pounds in this pregnancy (at my 20-ish week appointment) meaning a grand total weight gain of 12.5 pounds for the entire pregnancy.
- i actually lost a few pounds at the beginning so that weight gain is really more like 10.5 pounds from my 8 week appointment.
- i have no clue what i weighed pre-pregnancy as i last weighed myself in february & that number was only about 5-6 pounds below what i was today.
- i got a scale after i kept staying the same weight- or losing- at appointments & now check every day. yesterday was 4 pounds below this morning's. since i have been sick & most likely not getting enough fluid i am pretty sure that it was 4 pounds of water weight i gained overnight.
for all these reasons i am pretty sure that my actual total weight gain is around 8-10 pounds. i will check again tomorrow morning to be sure. but of course this happens the day of my appointment! my doctor wasn't really concerned- especially after we chatted about all of the above, but she did mention that this was more than they like to see gained in a month. duh- i don't want to gain that quickly! especially 2 weeks before i have to take the 1 hr glucose! i'm still going to make more of an effort to eat a little better. it is the start of the holiday basket & goody season after all. i probably have been eating too much sodium too. i seem to crave salty & cheesy more than anything, or at least gravitate towards it! i'm going to try to replace those urges with fresh fruit & nuts.. (hee hee- nuts!)
other than that the visit was great. everything is normal- the 2nd round of bloodwork for the sequential screen was better than normal- she said numbers were fantastic. the level ii u/s looked great with absolutely perfectly normal kidneys! yay! her heartbeat is still nice & fast & strong in the 150's & the hub is feeling her more & more.
we're going to visit friends this weekend who had their little girl 3 weeks ago tomorrow (thanksgiving baby- how cool is that?!) i am excited to see the hub interact with her & he may even be changing his very first diaper! i've been around infants in my family since i was 12- while i am a little cautious at first i ease into it pretty quickly. he has had virtually no infant experience & they scare the crap out of him. he thinks he will break them. this should be some good training for 3-1/2 months from now. of course it will just make me more impatient until i can meet caiden- i dreamt she was here last night (& had her daddy's nose poor thing!*) she had a full head of dark dark hair & the sweetest mouth i've ever seen. i woke up with such a full heart & so happy. it was fantastic!
*while i adore the hub's nose on the hub- it is quite the classic roman nose- ie way too big & strong for a tiny baby face. especially if that face is a little girls. yes- i will of course think she is the most beautiful creature on the planet if she gets his nose- and strong features just breed strong personalities & characters to go with them. but i saw how much my sister hated her 'beautiful seashell ears' (meaning flapping in the wind) & strong family nose (meaning you could hide in the shade from that thing). and while she is stunning now & her face fits her- i think her personality adapted to it somewhat & she did have to endure endless teasing about features she couldn't change. i just hope my daughter is spared some of that...
5 comments:
Woohoo! Weight gain is GOOD. Especially since you had only gained 4 1/2 lbs after 20 weeks. You are WELL within range. Stop worrying!
totally giggling about the nose.
Assvice ---> When the baby is born, LEAVE her with your husband. My husband was always all weirded out and overly careful with his first daughter when I was there - like I was this watching eye on him. But once I left her with him for a few hours, he did so much better.
Josh is the same way around infants. He tolerates toddlers and children. But he is scared to death of breaking a baby. I've made him hold a couple that are a few months old, but he hands them back as soon as he can. And he wouldn't even touch our friends' day old baby.
I'm glad your appointment went well!!
Well, I'm sure your weight gain is totally normal. I'm certainly no doctor, but from what I understand weight gain is not a slow, constant, steady build when you're pregnant. From what most people say, it comes in fits and starts. So. I hereby declare you normal. Besides, you're probably right that it's water weight. I mean, a pint's a pound the world around, right? So 16 oz of water without peeing, and you'll show a 1 lb weight gain.
YAY for the normal screen, and double YAY for the normal kidneys. I know you were worried about that.
And yeah. You'll have to force the hubby to get some experience holding a baby. I always babysat when I was growing up, so I have tons and tons of experience with all age groups- H? Not so much. Kids love him, but he doesn't really know how to deal with babies.
Yay! You are gonna be a mom so soon now!
I just had to add - neurotic enough about your weight gain? It's hilarious how you'll speak paragraphs to it with every update. You know I love you and you know I htink your gain is FINE. Stop rationalizing it and just be happy you've got a healthy baby in there!
by the way - it's been a week since you've given a new post. Come on.
Post a Comment