i am not ready to call it after only one night, but caiden did settle down around 9:45 after only a single real tear & a 2 minute rock. i put her back down & rubbed her chest until she was definitely starting to drift. then out i went.
i did not sleep as well as she since i kept dreaming that she was awake, which woke me up to listen to the silence. when she finally did wake up at 1:10 she only let out her standard 'hey i'm hungry- where's the food?' sounds- they are not even close to cries. i got up- fed her & she was back down before 1:30 (we were all business)
then she (&i!!!!) slept until 5:20 am. the longest uninterrupted stretch we have had in a few weeks! again- fed & back down (she was a little more alert this time, but a longer nursing session took care of that!)
finally at 7:30 i got her & brought her to bed with me (the hub has been up since somewhere on the wrong side of 4am) and she/we just got up for real around 9:20. all in all a success i think.
there are a few things i am going to vary tonight though. i will still feed her around 6-ish, & 8-ish then 2 stories & then down, but i will do a dream feed (i think that's what lilah called it) when i go to bed so we can all hopefully sleep for 4-5 hours in her first stretch.
i honestly think that her sleeping so close to her food source was making her wake up more, but i need more time with this new routine to verify my theory. (don't i sound all scientific & shit!) the things i was surprised at was how soundly she slept - no tossing & turning or grunting & flailing that i could determine on my clandestine sneak peeks into her room. she could just be ready for her own space. part of me is very sad at that thought- but it did make the middle of the night nursing session a little sweeter than it otherwise would have been. instead of a chore i get to snuggle with her- which is nice. and now that she eats a lot quicker- she'll drain a b00b in 10 minutes flat if she's focused- i don't have that worry about falling asleep & dropping her anymore! plus- at nearly 17 pounds- she isn't what you would call a light little newborn anymore!
i'm also surprised at how quickly she settled down. she catnapped from 9:10 until 9:26 (i put her down at 9pm) and then was down for the count at 9:45. not that anyone cares about numbers, i just want to get it all down somewhere!
thanks for the well wishes- all of this is as always a work in progress & i'm not really trying to force a schedule on her, just give her the opportunities to find a better schedule that works for all of us ;o) (yeah right- i want this girl to sleep well, but i have actually found with her that she knows what she wants & will do it no matter what you say she wants!)
6 comments:
Oh that is great news - good work mommy! I remember being really worried about the crib transition and just like you guys, we all slept better!
Sweet dreams :)
Thank you, Caiden, for letting your mamma get some uninterrupted sleep! Woohoo!!! Just stick with it, will ya, kiddo?
Yay for Sleep!!
I know I'm enjoying every bit I can get while I can get it.
Ever notice how new pregnant moms say "I cant wait to have this kid so I can get some sleep" (lol) There is nothing wrong with that statement, but in my case, after having the baby is when the loss of sleep truly began.
Now what I am feeling is how nice it will be that WHEN I get sleep (after baby is born) it's not so uncomfortable. But getting comfortable sleep is the last of my worries once he's here.
17 lb's! Awesome Job Nursing!
My DS was 18 lb at 4 months old and 20lb at 6 months old. I just L-O-V-E the rolls and cheeks. =D That's why I have that video at the bottom of my blog, that baby is too cute.
Ha! Your theory makes me think of peesticks talking about her son snuggled up in his carrier and being aggravated that he was next to the milk source but not getting fed. She said it must be like the equivalent of her being in a sleeping bag with cupcakes she can't eat. So yes. Remove the cupcakes, sleep is easier makes sense to me...
Yay!! For many babies having the boob so available does make them want it more. I wish Q would transition to his own bed. The brief period where he refused to cosleep was really hard because he was nearly impossible to get to fall asleep.
Fingers crossed she will keep up this trend!
I'm so glad you got some reasonable sleep! With Jillian she fluctuates betweens periods of waking up a lot and periods of sleeping through the night without a peep. I've never really been able to explain why. Growth spurt? Teething? Who really knows. Sometimes don't you wish they could just tell you! But I can say that with every step backwards we eventually get a step forward, and over time the improvement happens. It's just those steps backwards that suck sooooo much!
Post a Comment