Monday, December 17, 2007

have you tried elevating your hips

i had my annual lady doctor visit today. i had told my doc that i wanted to discuss IF testing and she started by asking how long we'd been trying & if i was using opk's & charting my temperature. i stifled my eyerolls & just said yes.

then she said that we should give it a few more months & then start seeing a specialist. really. that's it. that's what i get. oh- and while she was down checking out the lady bits she actually asked me the title. i couldn't make that up.

the only thing i can say is that i know for sure that she does no tests in office- which is what i expected anyway. i also know that for the next month or so i will be diligently researching RE's in the philly area. i only know 1 person who goes to an re & have looked up her office. i can't really compare it to any other office- but she loves it. if anyone else has any personal experiences with philly re's i would sure appreciate it. there's only so much you can get from a list of statistics.

i will then make a decision & call for my referral hopefully sometime in january- maybe february. i don't want to rush the decision of my baby-making doctor. plus since only testing is covered under insurance we really can't be in a huge rush for treatments, unless of course i get a diagnosis that is miraculously covered.

so- it's not much, but at least it's a start of a glimmer of a plan.

other than that- i have cramps & sore boobs & an appointment for bloodwork (standard check-up stuff) on friday. if i haven't gotten af i think i'll just ask for a test. but ironically i'll probably get af later that day because of it...

8 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

WOW that dr is impressive ... no really!

Jen said...

Wow...she did nothing? She said to keep trying for a few months? I'm glad you're researching RE's.

CanadianMama said...

Gosh if only you would of known this whole time to just elevate your hips!
What a twit of a doctor - I'm pissed for you!

Shelli said...

Hey there, found you thru Mel's Blog...

I live in the Philly area (S Jersey actually) and I love my RE. They have three offices (the one closest to Philly is in Marlton, NJ).
Check them out here>> http://www.sjfert.com/

My advice is don't waste your time at the OB/GYN if they are not taking you seriously.. or if they are dingbats. lol.

Anonymous said...

Found you via Mel as well. I used Cooper, also in Marlton...HOWEVER- I have been really, really loving the acupuncturists at the healing arts center (on 2nd & chesnut). They do acu for fertility & IVF treatments and know the skinny on every RE in town. I would give them a call & see if someone could give you a name or two to try.

GOOD LUCK!

Happy said...

Oh, wow, another Philly person. I feel like I'm the only one out here. Especially since we're doing donor insemination...no one does that ;-). I live in the 'burbs (Media, PA...20 minutes west of Philadelphia) and use the Keystone-Crozer Hospital fertility clinic. So far I like the doctor (although I'm not pregnant yet, he was VERY thorough when he tested me). He was voted a 'Top Doc For Women' by The Main Line Times. My best friend used the fertility clinic at Abington Hospital and she has two children. I know there are clinics at Jefferson and Penn, but I didn't want to go into the city (even though I work in CC). You have to go there a lot so try to find one close by. Chester county hospital does not have a fertility clinic. I've heard good things about one in Delaware. I don't know anyone who has gone there, but I know there is a clinic in Wayne and one called Main Line Fertility Clinic (or something like that).

Trace
http://1hardyswimmer.blogspot.com/

nancy said...

That's crazy. Well, not crazy really. I don't expect anything more from a regular OBGYN. This is why I always suggest people bypass the OB testing and go right to an RE. Many think that's admitting defeat of sorts, like having to go to the expert makes "IF" a reality. But really, an RE is the best to make these kinds of initial tests. Their offices are setup for the timing of all the tests and appointments are setup the same. I couldn't imagine getting in for cd3 b/w and u/s when I call on cd1 to let them know my period started (an appt in only 2 days? ~gasp!~). Not to mention the montitoring if you go on a med. And 7dpo testing for progesterone. Ugh. DO you need a referral? If not, just go and make and appointment. I'm glad you've gotten responses from ppl in philly!

astral said...

Hello! I've come from Mel's blog too. Dr. Michael Glassner from Main Line Fertility came recommended to me from my gyno (I live in Avoca, Pa). We went to see him for a consultation but we decided against IVF and are pursuing DIUI. His numbers are good. You can check them out at: www.sart.org You can check out a lot of fertility clinics stats there actually. Best of luck to you!