Tuesday, July 1, 2008

what a week

this is day 7 of iui#1 cycle. if you told me this time last week that i'd be almost halfway through my dose of clo.mid & wondering how to schedule everything for an iui i would have told you you were loca! now that i'm here i am surprised as much by what i'm not feeling as what i am.

i am not feeling too many side effects. i am surprised by this because i am one of those people who doesn't like to take medications. Well- i don't really take ibuprofen or aspirin- i tough out headaches, i tough out cramps, even fevers & colds i would rather just take a day of rest than a pill. if the situation is severe- say a 102 fever (believe me- for me this is like 104!) or, i don't know, an exploding kidney- i will go to the hospital/doctor/pharmacy & pop whatever pill is prescribed that i know i need. but the everyday stuff i don't usually do. when i do have a raging headache that has lasted for far too long- i'll take a single ibuprofen & it works practically instantly. so i've always had this thought that somehow my body is more responsive to medication because i haven't introduced it often. it could be complete psychological bullshit, but that's my story & i'm sticking to it.

so i am surprised that i don't really have any of the myriad of symptoms i was expecting. the first night i was slightly queasy for about an hour after taking the pills. once that went away i got this huge burst of energy & cleaned my entire bedroom- including organizing closet, shoes, & winter clothes for storage. i had one or two moments i would call a warm spell- not really a hot flash at all, just slightly flushed for about 20 seconds. other than that & a little restless night's sleep on sunday- all's good.

another thing that has surprised me was my acupuncture appointment last night. my doc told me she thinks that the clom.id might actually be good for me because it nourishes what i am deficient in. she did tell me to carefully watch any cm since if it is not right then the drug may be depleting something else i don't quite remember. so i am drinking green tea even earlier in my cycle this month. oh- and she seemed to be genuinely disappointed when i told her i was on day 6- meaning that of course last month didn't work. seeing how much hope she has for me always gives me a little boost when i see her.

another thing i don't feel is any nervousness or anxiety over the actual iui itself. i don't know if i expected to, but it feels very matter-of-fact. 'of course we're doing an iui- who wouldn't?' no matter that i am jumping feet first into a treatment cycle without anything more than testing under my belt. i feel like since our financial schedule is so funky- we have the money now, but not for the next couple (6?) months due to too many factors to list - that we are jumping ahead just to wait it out some more.

but i also do not have any anxiety over the outcome of this cycle, yet. i am trying my damndest to distract myself & have many measures in place. we are finishing our first floor & moving our furniture back up out of the dungeon- i mean basement! we are maybe planning on having people over within the month! we bought me a motorcycle. um- hell yeah! so much better than the friend's bike i didn't really want anyway- it's a yamaha- i'll have to post a pic as soon as i find it. it's perfect! very light, very small, only does 90 top speed (believe me it'll be lucky to see 30 anytime before next summer!) and i like the color- candy apple red! i just need to get that coordinating helmet& i will be assured of getting pregnant this month! actually- it'll probably be the next 2 months- i'll pass the course, get my license & maybe get one or two rides in with the hub. just enough to really enjoy it before i have to put it away! (oh how i hope i never get to ride it!)
either way- the outcome of this cycle will be easier to handle. if it doesn't work than i can temper the pain with 300 pounds of metal. if it does- any disappointment over not getting to ride a motorcycle will vanish with the appearance of a second line. i do plan on testing this cycle too- i am debating on taking one after my trigger just to see a second line... i probably won't though. but i think will start at 12 dpiui, at the very least it will be before any beta scheduled- i wouldn't want to hear that news over the phone- whichever way it goes.

8 comments:

KatieM said...

Oh yeah, that clomid will dry you up in a heartbeat (at least it did for me!). I always remembered to stay well hydrated and did the green tea thing =) Also though, the great thing about IUI is even if the clomid leaves you like a desert, the catheter bypasses THAT important portion of babymaking ;-)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you hun, I know the feelings and expectations that come with a first real treatment cycle.

admin said...

Congrats on being symptom free! I have heard such horror stories about reactions to that drug. It must make a huge difference to not have to deal with all the physical stuff on top of just getting through the cycle.

DH and I always taked about getting motorcycles and never did it. It is a great time to be riding around on a bike - ya know, with gas prices and all. Really exciting. I can't wait to see pics!

Jen said...

I didn't really have any symptoms on clomid either, except for the drying up of my CM. But since you're having an IUI you don't need to worry about that because you'll be bypassing the cervix anyhow. Congrats on the motorcycle!

kate said...

Weirdly, I used to be one of "those" people, too. Until I started seeing my pill-happy doctor and she convinced me that there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a pill to relieve whatever conditions are affecting you. And since then, it's been all downhill for me. Granted, I still thoroughly research and inspect each prescription before I take it to decide if I'm comfortable. And if I'm not, I don't take it.

But yeah, on the whole, I still think long and hard before taking pain medication, which is why I think that when I need it and I take it, it really works for me.


And YAY for IUI #1. I'm just sosososo happy for you! Day 7 already! So cool!

CanadianMama said...

I too hope you never get to ride that bike!!
Good luck, I've got everything crossed for you!

nancy said...

You are absolutely insane to not take an ibuprofen when you know it will work instantaneously. lol. But okay, if that's what you want to believe, that's cool with me! Just don't expect any sympathy from me when you don't feel well! :)

I never had side effects from clomid. I'm glad you are having such an easy time too. But I bet you'll start feeling follie pains in about 5 days!

Happy said...

I didn't have any of the physical symptoms you mentioned the first month, but for the next 3 months on Clomid I dropped into a deep funk when I took Clomid that lifted when I stopped taking it (pretty weird). Anyway, we're cheering you on!!

Camping...there is Jim Thorpe Camping Resort, in JT obviously, that is pretty nice. It's next to a park w/a lake, a beach, hiking, etc. (and has real bathrooms). And in DE there is a state beach park that has camping.

Io said...

I am the same way with medicine - I prefer not to take it unless I really have to.
However, perhaps I should try clomid for it's organizing side effects! My closet sure could use it.
Yay for the motorcycle - I can't wait to see pictures!