Sunday, February 8, 2009

it must be nesting- because i'm no susie homemaker

today was very productive. aside from a low wall- the kitchen is drywalled! the hub will be taping & spackling throughout the week so we can paint this weekend. this will make the kitchen look so much better than it has for the last.... i'm ashamed to even say how long it has taken. after we paint he'll build the low wall & if we can get to painting that for the shower- great. if not i am not going to cry over it as at least everything will be 'finished' & everyone can tell what it will eventually look like. after months of procrastination- the hub has finally gotten it into gear & i am very happy about that. of course- the motivation of knowing that i am 1000% serious when i tell him if it isn't done he is sleeping in the (unheated) garage until caiden gets here is probably good motivation!

i got a huge nesting urge today- i bought a swif.fer, which somehow led to inspiration to rip out the disgusting looking glass shower doors i hate (don't worry- the hub did the really dirty & heavy parts) & thoroughly scrub & scour the shower itself. i then installed the new curtain rod & curtain. the bathroom looks smaller (but it's pretty big to begin with) but so much cleaner & sleeker. plus i don't have to get frustrated that no matter how much i clean & scrub- the glass looks foggy & dirty immediately. now i can just throw a curtain in the wash & call it a day. plus- until we can get the money, materials & time together to put in a tub, we will be giving caiden her baths either in the kitchen sink, or in her tub in the shower- which would have been impossible with glass doors.

i also got new towels for the shower. i just want to make sure that all the little things are done so i can just tidy up & make the house look good that day. although i know that i will have tons of help- my girlfriend who is throwing the shower & my mom & sis are coming early to help & set up, plus the hub is here- i still feel like there are some things i just really want to get done. i am feeling slightly more relaxed about it though now that some real progress has happened in the kitchen.

another random thing is i think i want a hair cut- but i don't really know what to do with it. i have heavy bangs & my hair is getting longer - it's past the collarbone now. but the texture is changing a bit- it's getting wavy, not a nice pretty wavy with actual curl, but a random kink here & there kind of wavy. i may need to seek professional help, but i know that won't be happening before next month & then at that point do i just wait until after she's born? will my hair change again? part of me thinks i should do it now while i have time for me, but the nagging practical part says i should just wait until at least a month or 2 after she's here & pamper myself then.

we have friends coming over for dinner & tomorrow we start our childbirth classes. it's all getting very real & exciting. the hub is getting into it too, but we'll see how enthusiastic he is after tomorrow night.

4 comments:

admin said...

Feels good to get stuff done, huh?

As for the hair... I would wait. My hair got darker and straighter. But for me, the reason to wait is that after having a kid your identity shifts a bit. It might be nice to look in the mirror and see a familiar face. Lots of changes abound, Take your time. Plus a pamering before going back to work might be nice.
m

Elana Kahn said...

What I wouldn't give to feel like cleaning...I HATE cleaning. Although a part of me really hopes I don't get that "nesting instinct" because I might injure myself. I can barely stand up for more than 5 minutes without pooping out entirely. lol And if I bend over, I need a crane to lift me back up. tee hee

kate said...

Yay for drywall! It'll all be done soon.

And also YAY for getting the glass down off the shower. I HATE door enclosures on showers, and one of the selling points of this house is that there were no doors in sight. They just get so grody, the tracks never get clean, no matter how much you scrub, and they are impossible to work with when trying to bathe a baby (or in the last case in the house I used to live in, a puppy...). How refreshed you must feel being able to get in to a space and get it truly clean. Pictures, maybe?

And as far as the hair goes, I understand from scores of (formerly) preggo friends that cutting your hair while pregnant is a mistake. I can't say from experience, but I think I would wait until after the birth when your hormones are headed back to normal and your hair texture settles into some sort of pattern. I totally feel you on the unruly waves mixed in with the straight, etc. On good days, all my hair cooperates and is either all curly or all straight, but most of the time, it takes a lot of coercion to get my hair to be one or the other, which is such a pain.

Your last belly pic is ADORABLE. Yes, it does look like you are carrying high, but I understand that at some point, they "drop", right? Soon. So soon, she'll be here...

Anonymous said...

I hear you dude. I've been "nesting" since we had our homestudy. Be sure to past a pic of the fab kitchen.