Wednesday, July 15, 2009

burnt

pumpkin has been waking up a lot during the night to eat this week. i don't really know why. it may be a growth spurt a little late (or early- depending on how you look at it). it may be the 4 month weirdness that i've been seeing a lot of internet posts about. or it may be that she's just a loud baby & being so close to us at night has it's downfalls & this is one of them. a zombie mommy & daddy are just no good to anyone!



to that end we are trying a multi-pronged approach. i am feeding her more often during the day today. we are going to attempt the first night's sleep in her crib. she is getting enough naps during the day, but not so late that it interferes with bedtime. at the very least it can't be any worse unless she actually is getting sick! (i really don't think she is!)



i doubt she is teething- there's no little pearls or hard spots on her gums. overall- she is fairly happy today- surprisingly so for such interrupted sleep! (up at 1am, 3:20, 5:30, & 7!) she came thisclose to rolling over from back to front today. i think she'll do it this week or next week at the latest!

**updated to add: i think that there is something off about this week's sleep in that she really did have a nice little routine going before this. she would go to bed after eating around 10-ish, then sleep until 3 or 4am. then we would start up an every 3hr (or so) schedule until 10-ish that night. every 3rd night- roughly- she would wake up 2x a night instead of 1 (well- i should say 3x instead of 2 because after the 6/7 am feeding we'd go back to sleep until she really got up around 8 or 9) this all led me to believe she was slowly weaning herself from that middle of the night feeding- which was fine. then this week has been off completely. the last 'good' night was the fourth. seems a little long for a growth spurt. that is what makes me think that a change of scenery might do her some good. give her a chance to sleep on her own without the easy b00b access & constant waking that being so close to mommy can bring. but i am extremely laid back in my parenting style & forcing her to be on a schedule just stresses all of us out. she's been doing fantastically at finding her own schedule so far & i am sure we'll all work this one out too. even if it does make us a little sleep deprived- now at least is the time to be zombies with no daily grind to get through!**




here she is during our floor time- combo back & tummy...






talking to mommy





telling me she is so over it!





happy that mommy is holding her & she is done with that hard floor!

5 comments:

CanadianMama said...

Hey Jenn,
I used to cluster feed and we also did a dream feed. Using that plan I had Chicken going 7-8 hour stretches by 5 weeks (and he was much smaller than your little one). Let me know if you have any questions.
Happy sleeping!

kate said...

Ugh, I think one of the things I worry most about being a mother is how I will handle the lack of sleep. Of course, sleep deprivation for such a great cause might help me keep it in perspective, but still- I am just such a high sleep need person. I've gotten about 7 hrs of sleep each night for the last two nights, and I'm literally bleary-eyed and barely awake right now- pathetic, I know!

As always, Ms. Caiden is just so adorable, even when she's making a fuss-face!

jenn said...

Lilah- you are one lucky lady! We have tried cluster feeding. It doesn't seem to matter if it's an 'off' night!

rocket.queen. said...

Sometimes, no matter what you try, baby knows best. Even if the reason is a mystery to us dumb parents. Quinlon has done the same thing before and honestly, it always passes.

CanadianMama said...

Hey Jenn,
I swear by the Baby Whisperer book. I have an extra copy that I am more than happy to ship to you. email me your addy if you are interested. I like the book because it isn't black or white and it goes up to age four. It helped me figure out lots of different issues from sleep to solids to temper tantrums.
Anyways, it's yours if you want it!